Wednesday 29 June 2011

Top Five - The Best Video Games









This is my list of the greatest video games I have ever played. They are the games that have taken up hundreds of hours of my childhood and a lot of them I still play obsessively now. When I was compiling this list, I decided that it would be extremely unfair if I included the Nintendo/Gameboy Pokemon series because if I factored in my love for the Pokemon franchise, then I would just have a list of 5 Pokemon games. Therefore I decided to create this list without the inclusion of any Pokemon games, instead I choose to view the Pokemon franchise as a God-like entity that is on a completely different level than all other games and cannot be compared to this mortal list.





 So with that all cleared up (hopefully), these are my favourite video games of all time:



5.   Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer   (PS1)



One of the first games I ever owned. It was a great advancement from the highly successful first game and in my opinion, it is the best game in the entire series. Gliding between levels from the three main home worlds, Summer Forest, Autumn Plains, and Winter Tundra, there was just so much more to do, with added characters, abilities and power-ups. Ripto and his evil henchmen never stood a chance against the mighty Spyro!


4.   Crash 3: Warped   (PS1)



The greatest game in the single-player Crash Bandicoot series, Crash 3 picks up directly after its predecessor. Dr. Neo Cortex's space station has crash landed on Earth and Uka Uka has escaped and is working with the forces of evil to take over the world. Crash and Coco must travel through time and collect all of the crystals before the villains can enslave the Earth. The general game play of Warped was so great and there was also the added features of motorcycle racing, jet-ski courses, Tiger riding and those fucking intense levels where you get chased by the dinosaur (always got my heart racing). Some of the best boss battles ever in this game.



3.   Worms World Party   (PC)




The simplicity of this game was the key. It can be a fairly complex strategy game but really, it is a game about blowing shit up with crazy weapons and goofy sound effects. This game was so zaney and fucked up but those are things that made it so unique and fun. Great single-player game but it was also really fun to play with a few other people. I could spend hours creating armies of wickedly named worms and having massive wars against myself where no worm is safe. Mastering the basic weapons, like bazooka, grenades and ninja rope always made for good game play, but the real fun started when you activate the air strike or unleash a holy hand grenade. This game was meant for 2 dimensions and should always stay that way.





2.   Crash Team Racing   (PS1)



One of the most bad ass games ever created. The only racing game I will ever play and that is because nothing else could ever compare to this. CTR was a revolution in my life and nothing has been the same ever since. The adventure aspect of the game was so compelling and fun to complete, with many hidden challenges and extra features to keep it interesting. The Cup challenge is great for multi-player but is also fun to dominate by yourself. One of the best features this game has though, is the Battle! The Battle part of the game involves an enclosed level where you just get to drive around and try and blow up your opponent, so simple that it's genius.



1.   Kingdom Hearts   (PS2)



The first game I ever got with my PS2. and no game has ever lived up to it since. There was a lot of hype about it before the Playstation 2 came out, but it surpassed all my expectations with how amazing it is. Getting to be Sora and travelling through worlds defeating Heartless with your keyblade. Unlocking different kinds of magic and new battle techniques, this game never gets boring. The storyline is so well put together and the two worlds of Disney and Final Fantasy are perfectly merged together. The sequels have all been really good but this is the standout achievement of video game technology in the modern era.



Riku: Once we set through, we might not be able to come back. We may never see our parents again. There's no turning back. But this may be our only chance. We can't let fear stop us! I'm not afraid of the darkness!


Maleficent: Beware the darkness in your heart. The Heartless prey upon it.



Sora: Kairi! Remember what you said before? I'm always with you too. I'll come back to you... I promise!
Kairi: I know you will!






BONUS LEVEL: The Best Multi-Player Video Game


1.   Crash Bash   (PS1)




This game is best played with 4 people, it is such a brilliant concept and it really lives up to the hype. All the crazy levels that you get to compete in, like polar panic, crash ball, space bash, desert fox, pogo-a-gogo, dragon drop, dante's dash, ring ding, mallet mash and keg kaboom! The greatest advancement in social gaming ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment