Sunday 31 July 2011

Extract the venom, spit it over the shoulder

Shihad are one of the most successful bands to emerge from New Zealand, I was lucky enough to get to witness them take home the Legacy award at the NZ Music Awards in 2010. Earlier in the year, Shihad were touring the country in honour of 2 of their best albums, Killjoy and The General Electric. I would've loved to have gone and seen them both but being a poor art student, I had to decide which one I was going to attend. In the end it was obvious, I was going to see The General Electric album being played in its entirety. The show was sold out and local shredders, Heavy Metal Ninjas opened the night with an impressive display of guitar manipulation. The NZ audience was now ready for Shihad and they delivered with interest, kicking off the show with My Minds Sedate. They transitioned straight into The General Electric (the song) and the atmosphere was buzzing. New Zealand loves when Shihad plays and Shihad love putting on one hell of a show for us. The rest of the album was played with the usual intensity that Shihad have always brought to the stage and lead vocalist/guitarist Jon Toogood was at his best, rocking out like a true skinny white guy. The encore was filled with lesser known tracks from earlier albums and Jon even climbed the sound system at one point. It was a great night that NZ fans can always expect from one of our greatest rock groups ever.

Shihad. 07/08/2010. Powerstation, Auckland, New Zealand.


Shihad - Jon Toogood

Over New Years, I headed down to Waihi to see Shihad play another show. This time they were playing as part of a summer festival that was travelling around New Zealand over the holidays. I live in Auckland, so it was a pretty decent drive down to see them, but that would never stop me from seeing a band I loved. To add to the allure, one of my favourite NZ bands were playing in support, Christchurch duo Cairo Knife Fight, along with Chart Topping Indie Pop group, The Naked & Famous. I drove down there in the morning and spent the day on the beach and walking around the cliffs, until I headed off to the venue, Waihi Beach Hotel. A big stage had been built outside the Hotel and I was able to grab a spot in the front row, just to the right of the centre. Cairo Knife Fight opened the show to a rather calm crowd but by the time they were done playing, the audience was alive and thriving. I've seen CKF many times and they always manage to win every single person in the audience over by the end of their set. The Naked & Famous played a good set, their style of alternative pop music got everybody moving and really appealed to the younger people in the audience. Finally, Shihad took the stage and the place just erupted. Unlike earlier in the year when I had seen them, they were playing a set list of their greatest hits and it was an amazing display. Starting with the new and haunting Final Year that lead straight into heavier hits My Minds Sedate and The General Electric. They worked their way through their history playing older songs, like Semi-Normal and Run with newer songs, like Engage and Lead Or Follow. Ending the show with massive hits Comfort Me and Sleepeater, the atmosphere was absolutely electric. They came back for an encore where they played their 2 most well known songs ever, Home Again and Pacifier. The show was well worth the trip down to Waihi and I even managed to see the band afterwards and get them to sign my set list.

Shihad w/ The Naked & Famous + Cairo Knife Fight. 03/01/2011. Waihi Beach Hotel, Waihi, New Zealand.


No comments:

Post a Comment