Sunday 31 July 2011

My secret you'll forever be

Unearth were coming to Auckland and they were putting on a big show for metal fans. They had multiple local bands opening up for them and they were bringing melodic death metal band, The Black Dahlia Murder over with them as well. I hadn't seen any of the local bands before but they were all quite impressive, except one band that was really horrible. Awaiting The Storm were the first act to play and they were very young but extremely good for their age. The Dauntless and Mark Of Man played brilliant sets that really got me hooked on their music. It was an awesome couple of hours of NZ metal but now it was time for the international acts to take the stage. I had heard a little about The Black Dahlia Murder before this show but I had never really been exposed to them before. There seemed to be endless amounts of people wearing beautifully illustrated and coloured BDM t shirts though, so they must have been good to have such a cult following. As the night went on, I would discover that they were more than good, they were FUCKING AMAZING! The Black Dahlia Murder took the stage and blew my fucking mind. They were thrashing heavy metal music at a blistering pace but there was an underlying melody created by some inspired guitar riffs. The lyrics were complex and morbidly fascinating, while the atmosphere of the band was so playful and fun. Lead vocalist, Trevor Strnd was a demonic puppet master as he psyched up the audience and pumped his fist in the air. They were so quirky and had such a party attitude, but their music was genius and fucking exciting. I fell in love with this band that night and I have been obsessed with them ever since. After their set I was hugely satisfied but to my utter delight, Unearth were about to take the stage. They played another hour of brilliant metal to the point where they were thrashing so hard, Drummer Derek Kerswill broke his drumstick during Endless (which he then threw to me). It was a heavy night filled with amazing bands and life changing discoveries.

Unearth & The Black Dahlia Murder. 29/05/2010. Kings Arms Tavern, Auckland, New Zealand.

The Black Dahlia Murder set list

Running schedule w/ Unearth guitar pick



No comments:

Post a Comment