Sunday 10 April 2011

It's raining leprosy and acid.




On the 23rd of February, I saw Amanda Palmer (The Dresden Dolls) at the Kings Arms Tavern. The KA's is one of my favourite places, it is just perfect for hosting the smaller, slightly less popular bands. It is quite an intimate venue so you always get a chance to have a drink and talk to the musicians. Ive seen quite a few shows there before, including The Black Dahlia Murder, Unearth, Cancer Bats, Cairo Knife Fight, Street Chant, Cobra Khan and The Dauntless. But on that night, I was blown away by AP's opening musician who was a man named Jason Webley, a Seattle-born singer-songwriter known for playing a mix of gypsy, folk, and punk. He is the most badass piano-accordionist I have ever seen and his performance was violently beautiful. Needless to say, I highly recommend you check this guy out. That's him down there, he loves sweaty hugs right after a show.


My favourite song of Jason's is a post-apocalyptic tale of remorse and destruction called 'Dance while the sky crashes down', it is fucking amazing. But it really got me thinking...and now it has become my life's purpose to dance while something epic is happening in the background. It is a repeating theme that occurs in the music I listen to and I've decided I can no longer ignore this message, surely it is a sign that this will be my destiny. So just as Jason Webley dances as the sky crashes down, Lamb Of God dance as the palaces burn and The Black Dahlia Murder dance by night and drink the blood of a child's broken neck, I too, will one day achieve this epic feat

It is my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment