Monday 11 July 2011

Smile on my face but it's really no joke

Originally Mos Def was scheduled to tour New Zealand in Janurary, but due to some conflicts he had to postpone the show. Unfortunately it wasn't until the day of the concert that the general public was told, so I had arrived home from uni and was getting ready to go to the gig, when I checked my answering machine and it was the touring company telling me the show was off for now. I was so gutted, but I held on to the fact that it was only postponed, not cancelled. Eventually it was announced that the show was rescheduled for the 1st of Feburary and I was ecstatic. I got front row centre and had to suffer through all the average NZ hip-hop artists and DJ's (seriously, what is the point of a DJ!? They just press play, then go get a drink or say random words in the mic, it is completely pointless). Mos Def was running late, so I had to suffer for a bit longer, but it was all worth it when he came out. He played a great setlist with all his good songs from the new album, and they sounded so much more dynamic live, especially the beat change on Pistola. Mos Def was looking flash in his 1940's collared shirt and pants, with some slick shoes and super cool suspenders. He had a drum kit set up that he could use and his drumming skills really showed during Quiet Dog, Bite Hard. The best Hip Hop concert I have ever been to, by far.


Mos Def. 01/02/2011. The Powerstation, Auckland, New Zealand.








Mos Def - Auditorium

No comments:

Post a Comment