Friday 29 July 2011

Before I blow this life to hell

Alter Bridge was the first band I ever saw live and they have had a special place in my heart since I was young. Myles Kennedy is one of my all time favourite vocalists and hearing that he was teaming up with Slash for a world tour was amazing news. Slash and Myles announced they would be playing 1 show in New Zealand and it was going to be at the G-TARanaki festival in New Plymouth. Even though G-TARanaki is NZ's only international guitar festival, it was still a surprise that one of the biggest concerts all year was going to be in such a small town. The location wasn't going to stop me though, I got my ticket and booked a motel so I could drive down there and spend the weekend at the festival. There was a big line-up of musicians including local bands Shotgun Alley and In Dread Response. Vinnie Moore and Jennifer Batten were the next 2 artists to showcase thier talents. Cover group Hail! put on a great show with heaps of familiar songs and then it was time for the main event. Slash came out at about 10PM and played for around an hour and a half. With the hugely talented Myles Kennedy on vocals, they played songs from Slash's last 2 solo albums, some of Guns 'n' Roses biggest hits and even an Alter Bridge song. Getting to hear songs like Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine was an amzing experience, they were the songs I grew up with and now I get to hear them with a far superior vocalist. After their epic performance, Slash performed in a midnight jam session with a few of the other musicians, including Uli Jon Roth. They just played a bunch of cover songs, including Communication Breakdown (Led Zeppelin) and Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream) but they put a unique spin on them all. The whole night was really amazing and truly a once in a lifetime event. The next day I was even lucky enough to meet Slash and Myles as they were heading off to the airport, it was a fucking brilliant experience. I wasn't able to get many pictures and they arn't great quality, but here is the best:

Slash w/ Myles Kennedy. 14/08/2010. TSB Stadium, New Plymouth, New Zealand.
Slash & Uli Jon Roth

Slash - Midnight Jam

Me & Myles Kennedy with my wristband that was signed by Slash (although it looks like 'Slush')

 

No comments:

Post a Comment