Monday 11 July 2011

The sparkle in your eyes, keeps me alive

Love was one of the first albums I loved in its entirety, so when I found out that not only were The Cult coming to New Zealand for a show but that they were going to play every song off Love, I was ecstatic. I had never been to the Trusts Stadium in West Auckland before, it was really just a converted netball stadium, but that didn't matter to me. The opening band was new to me and led by the former frontman of Supergroove, Karl Steven. It was my first time seeing The Drab Doo-Riffs live and I have been in love with their music ever since (check them out in my New Zealand Music Month post). After DDR's were finished their high energy set of alternative/surf/punk amazingness, it was time for The Cult to play. The British goth rockers played Love in its entirety, and it was one of the most amazing things ever. Ian Astbury looked like a motorcycle gang member and was throwing tamberines into the audience all night, Billy Duffy was brilliant on his guitar, especially during the intro of Phoenix. They closed their set with a collection of their greatest hits, including Wildflower and Love Removal Machine. Overall, it was pretty good first experience with Trusts Stadium.


The Cult w/ The Drab Doo-Riffs. 03/05/2010. Trusts Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand.
The Cult - Billy Duffy

The Cult - Ian Astbury

The Cult - Billy Duffy

No comments:

Post a Comment