Monday 25 July 2011

Just for a second I thought I remembered you

I first started listening to Gary Numan/Tubeway Army in 2010 after The Dead Weather releases a cover version of Are Friends Electric? I absolutely loved that song and that led me to start listening to the artist who created the original. Even though I am not a die-hard fan, I still really enjoy all of his music so when Gary Numan announced a solo show in New Zealand in 2011, I just had to go. There was no opening band, so Gary Numan just came straight out on the stage and started playing. the tour was in celebration of the re-release of his 1979 album, The Pleasure Principle. He played through the entire album to begin with, the stage looked amazing with all the colourful lights flashing in the mist. The second half of the show was dedicated to his successful back-catalogue and all the other hits from his career. The live sound production was some of the best I have ever heard, it enhanced all the crazy robotic keyboards and the machine-like guitars to the point where they sounded better than on the album. The whole live performance had a real dynamism and impact that can not be found on CD or MP3. The show ended with the original Are Friends Electric? and it was the perfect end to a really outstanding night.

Gary Numan. 21/05/2011. ASB Theatre, Auckland, New Zealand.





Gary Numan - Are Friends Electric?

No comments:

Post a Comment