Sunday 10 July 2011

Top Ten - The Best Heavy Metal Albums










This is a list of my favourite heavy metal albums of all time. I first started getting into the heavier forms of rock 'n' roll when I got my first Linkin Park album, Hybrid Theory, and ever since then my love for the genre continues to grow. I am only a part-time headbanger though, despite what my long hair and the black t shirts may suggest. But please, no one get to upset about specific genres and sub-genres, I've never been one to give a shit if something is metalcore or deathcore, I just don't care at all. To me, metal is metal, and that is what this list is all about: The Greatest Metal albums that were ever made...in my opinion.






10.   Maximum The Hormone - BUIIKIKAESU



I was first introduced to this band through the opening and closing credits of the Japanese anime, Death Note. I had to order the album all the way from Japan just to get my hands on it, but it was extremely worth all the effort. This album is such a symbiotic combination of heavy metal and J-pop, it really brings the intensity of thrashing guitars and screaming vocals but also has catchy pop beats and clean, female vocals. The 2 styles juxtapose each other brilliantly and really bring the fun back to metal, this album just makes you want to bang your head and dance at the same time.

Best Songs: Buiiki Kaesu!!, What's Up, people!?, Koi No Mega Lover, Chu Chu Lovely Muni Muni Mura Mura Purin Purin Boron Nurururerorero






9.   The Black Dahlia Murder - DEFLORATE


This was the second BDM album I ever heard, but I was already madly in love with this band before I heard it. It is their fourth full length, studio album and their first with guitarist, Ryan Knight. Knight has a much more technical style and really brings a whole new level to the solos and instrumentals on this album. It has all the usual appeal of an album made by The Black Dahlia Murder but this album is perhaps their best on a technical level and it is the most well produced and finished. It really proves that their is a strong evolution in this bands style and it just keeps getting better.

Best Songs: Black Valor, Necropolis, I Will Return, Death Panorama, Christ Reformed









8.   August Burns Red - CONSTELLATIONS



Don't be put off by the 'christian' tag this band has, their faith only makes their music that much better. This is probably one of the heaviest bands I listen to, purely due to the fact that ABR completely abuse the use of breakdowns to assist their music. Even though my favourite ABR song ever, Composure, is on an earlier album called Messengers, I feel that this album is a much more complete piece of work. It is strong from start to finish and really has a good flow that leads from one song to another. The cover art is extremely beautiful as well.

Best Songs: Marianas Trench, Thirty And Seven, Existence, White Washed








7.   Arch Enemy - DOOMSDAY MACHINE



I am only a fan of the Angela Gassow era of Arch Enemy, I never saw the appeal of their previous vocalist, but I have loved them ever since I first heard Angela's powerful and demonic voice. I had a tough choice between this album and their 2007 album, Rise Of The Tyrant. ROTT was the first Arch Enemy album I ever heard so it has a lot of nostalgia attached to it, but I feel that this album is a much stronger example of their unlimited potential. The amazing vocals coupled together with the electrifying guitars is what makes this the best album AE has made to this day. Right from the opening instrumental, it explodes into the beginning of the album and stands strong.

Best Songs: Enter The Machine, Taking Back My Soul, Nemesis, My Apocalypse








6.   Trivium - ASCENDANCY



I remember when I was much younger and the fantastic Alt TV was still on the air, I would stay up all night and just watch all the cool and strange videos that they would play. This is where I was really exposed to my first bit of heavy metal, when I saw Trivium's video for Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr. At first, I wasn't even sure if I liked it or not, I was quite young and hadn't been exposed to vocals like that before but as time went on, I fell more and more in love with that style of music and here we are today. This is easily their best album to date, it has all of their greatest songs and is so signature to the Trivium style. Matt Heafy creates a great balance between clean and death vocals with the instrumental work being out of this world.

Best Songs: Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr, A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation, Rain, Like Light To Flies, Drowned And Torn Asunder








5.   Lamb Of God - ASHES OF THE WAKE



LoG is one of my favourite bands ever, so it was unbelievably hard to pick which albums were going to make the list. I would've loved to have included As The Palaces Burn, New American Gospel and Wrath as well, but I had to make a choice and this was the clear option. AOTW is LoG's 4th album, but it also has a much more memorable/catchy element which makes all the songs that much better. The album slightly fades over the last 2 songs, but the beginning is so explosive that you could almost use the break from thrashing riffs and timeless songs.

Best Songs: Hourglass, What I've Become, Omerta, The Faded Line, Now You've Got Something To Die For









4.   At The Gates - SLAUGHTER OF THE SOUL



This album is one of the godfathers of Swedish Melodic Death Metal, along with Dark Tranquility's The Gallery and In Flames' The Jester Race. A landmark album for the genre, it was the fourth and final from ATG. As it was recorded so long ago, the quality of the songs is not up to today's high standards, but it is that slightly rough element that makes it sound so unique and powerful. It is a brutal album from start to finish (with a couple of slightly out of place instrumentals) and with most of its songs being no longer than 3 minutes, it really is a fast paced, high energy experience. The lyrics are so intense, you can really feel the emotion and the hate flowing from this album. The high point is definitely the first few seconds on Suicide Nation, where a gun is cocked into the microphone before the band explodes into the song.

Best Songs: Slaughter Of The Soul, Suicide Nation, Cold, World Of Lies








3.   Burn The Priest - BURN THE PRIEST



The album that came before Lamb of God. Now I am not one of those people who gets all defensive about the difference between BTP and LOG, I believe that they are pretty much the same band, just with a different name. When it comes down to it though, I absolutely feel that BTP was the strongest period in the history of Lamb of God. Burn The Priest is the most stripped back and raw version of the band that there ever has been, it is a savage and brutal album of destructive songs and rip-your-face-off vocals. It is the best vocal performance I have ever really heard from Randy Blythe, or anyone for that matter. It is a lot heavier, faster and more intense than any other LOG album and that is why I love it so much.

Best Songs: Bloodletting, Dimera, Resurrection #9, Departure Hymn









2.   Nightrage - A NEW DISEASE IS BORN



This was the dominant album of my 2007/8 and it completely redefined my taste in music. It was truly the first metal album I ever fell in love with and became obsessed with. It's extremely memorable riffs and powerful vocals were mind blowing. The only problem with this album was that it was a one off event in the history of the band, because the vocalist would leave after this album (It was the only album he performed vocals on). It was the perfect line-up but never again will it happen, so now I just choose to pretend that the other Nightrage albums don't exist and I listen only to ANDIB. It's a strange way to live my life but it suits me just fine.

Best Songs: Spiral, Scathing, Death-like Silence, Drone, Reconcile









1.   The Black Dahlia Murder - NOCTURNAL



Easily the best heavy metal album, in my opinion. There is no doubt in my mind, I discovered this band last year when I went to see an Unearth concert and BDM was co-headlining. Ever since that day, I have been obsessed with every piece of music BDM have released. This album is absolutely perfect, from the first song all the way through to the last. Those 10 songs are everything that is good about the previous 9 albums all together in one. Trevor Strnd is my favourite vocalist, his voices complexity is astonishing, the way he goes from blood curdling scream to a deep, demonic growl is amazing. The guitar and instrumental work is so catchy but drives the album along with its blinding pace and brutal intensity. The song writing is some of the best I have ever heard, especially on songs like Deathmask Devine, where Trevor manages to create the most beautiful and horrific tale of love and obsession. LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM!!!

Best Songs: What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse, Deathmask Devine, Everything Went Black, Nocturnal, Climactic Degradation, Virally Yours

No comments:

Post a Comment